Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bummer!

A tough day today. Colbert is limping worse than ever over the rocks now. A closer look at his front, left hoof reveals that he has very little calloused sole in the front of the hoof. His collateral grooves are at least and inch deep in the back, and nearly non-existent at the frog apex. After reviewing Pete Ramey's DVDs, I realize it's best to try to encourage front growth before I even THINK about lowering the heels. Fortunately, Katherine was there today to lend assistance. Not only is she more knowledgeable and experienced, but she has the cool tools for the job! She helped me put a nice mustang roll on the hooves, but what both horses really need is movement, which they are not getting in a stall. I wanted to put them in a pasture today, but Jill and Sally are out of town, so it will have to wait until next weekend. Also, I didn't have the camera today (because it belongs to Rachel and she's on a cruise with her future in-laws). Sooooo, I spent 3 hours working on hooves. No training today. I did have another lesson on Calypso. Sabine says I'm improving, but I can't tell. I still think my balance stinks! I feel bummed out today. I just want my horses to be happy and sound. :-(

1 comment:

Katherine said...

You'll get there...it will just take some time. The sole will toughen up before you know it. Find out about the wolf teeth, though, from Dr. Little!