Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Great Day

Wishes finally let me pet her today!!! I'm so happy. I hung out all morning, in and around the foals' paddock. Fortune, who is very used to people, was letting me pet her all morning. She even followed me around wherever I went. Her buddy, Showbiz, also followed me around and eventually let me pet him and rub him. That was the first time he ever let me touch him, so I was feeling very encouraged. Eventually, Wishes joined our little group. It took me some time to get close enough, but eventually I was able to take hold of her lead rope. She resisted at first, but today I was in a much better position to hold on to her and move with her. Once I put my hand on her neck, she realized that I wasn't going to eat her, and stopped trying to get away. She stood still and let me pet her all up and down her neck, stroke her back, rub her rump, and even reach over the top of her and "drape" myself over her back to touch and pet the other side. We did this for about 5 minutes, and I wanted to end on a good note, so I left while she was still calm and happy!! Hurray!!!!!!!! I just wish I had pictures.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Glad to hear that her experiences earlier this week didn't leave her too spooked to let you worm your way back into her affections.

I love your updates. The suspense is keeping me on the edge of my seat.

Katherine said...

Ah...like Parelli's first game--the friendly game! The more spooky they are, the more you need to draw them in; the more sluggish they are, the more you need to unlock the feet and get 'em going.
She sounds like she needs that draw. Later, when she is completely comfortable with you and getting rubbed all over, you can send her out without her panicking.