Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My First Big Mistake


Yesterday, my little filly, Wishes, was weaned from her mother, and placed into a large stall/paddock along with about 5 other foals. She was put into a halter with a short lead rope dangling from her throat about 18 inches. I was not present for this event, but read about it on Shiloh's web page (see http://www.shilohlasvegas.com/ under "news").


Feeling anxious about the condition of my little horse, I rushed out there today with two babies in tow (my daughter, Grace, and Baby Cason, for whom I nanny). I was able to spend a few minutes in the small paddock area with Wishes, and even got her to eat from my hand. Jill drove by and stopped to tell me that Wishes did very well yesterday, was easy to catch, and gave the guys very little trouble. She added, "As a matter-of-fact, you can just grab her lead rope and handle her." Going against my better judgment to take things slowly, the temptation to grab ahold of her overwhelmed me, and I decided to try it. I quickly got another handful of hay, and held it out for her to eat, this time reaching through the pipe corral. Dizzy and Fortune also came over for a nibble, and once she was distracted, I grabbed ahold of Wishes's lead. She immediately flew backward and nearly dislocated my shoulder, as I slammed against the pipes. So, not only did I take us right back to square one, I've given her the idea she can just pull me around anytime she wants. Damn my impatience! Oh well, back to the beginning we go...hopefully a little wiser this time.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

keep getting her attention, then retreating...she'll be following you around in no time. Just working on her attention span will set it up to help her out.